Manager Category Management & Business Development
Relevant Work Experience:
Minimum Education Level:
Under the general direction of the Director of Sales Strategy, organize and drive the company’s efforts in the area of consumer insights and category management, and serve as the expert for sales story creation and the development of shopper marketing programs which drive incremental sales and attract new consumers to the brand.
1. Drives profitable sales growth at strategic customers by building category management relationships in concert with Applegate’s brand strategies.
2. Leverage existing category and shopper insight inventories, identify insight and data gaps, and assist in securing resources to develop the next evolutions of category leadership merchandising plans.
3. Train and develop Category Analyst(s) to serve as the expert voice of consumer and category insights for joint HQ selling presentations.
4. Develops an effective and cohesive category management capability in an integrated customer planning process in partnership with field sales and Applegate’s brokers.
5. Ensure long term growth by developing and managing distribution growth objectives (TDPs) by channel, territory and customer, as well as the Distribution Development Index (DDI) of all customers.
6. Maintain and nurture relationship with key Hormel Category Management associates, leveraging relationship as appropriate to gain access to shared learning from vendors and customer specific tools.
7. Collaborates with Product Management, Consumer Marketing, Sales Strategy, and Field Sales to develop compelling presentations for new products and promotional campaigns.
8. Takes an active role in fostering the understanding and application of syndicated data within field sales for development of compelling fact-based sales presentations
9. Recommends category management strategies and tactics to grow Applegate’s products and overall categories at strategic national accounts and select regional accounts.
10. Leads the planning and development of other related Sales Strategy duties (e.g. Sales Meeting facilitation, team training modules, Team Selling support).
11. Ongoing management of Category Management and Shopper Marketing budgets. Develop annual budget planning recommendation based on opportunities and ROI.
12. Secure internal and external cross function support teams to carry out category management strategies.
13. Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, leading the process of managing and negotiating Applegate syndicated data contracts and establishing optimal data budgets that balances strategic needs with analytical bandwidth.
• Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Marketing/sales or equivalent work experience, advanced degree preferred.
• 5+ years brand, sales planning or sales experience in CPG industry.
• Minimum 3 years of developing category based field selling tools.
• Ability to access, assess, interpret, and draw accurate conclusions from sales, customer, and shopper data. Ability to translate interpretation into an actionable selling story.
• Strong communication skills, with the ability to listen, adapt to change, and effectively resolve competing priorities
• Ability to interact at the customer level with retailer’s Buying and Category Management teams, representing Applegate as a credible CM expert, jointly accountable for growing category dollars.
• Strong organization and follow through skills.
• Ability to hire, train and motivate a team of future leaders.
• Proven creative problem solving skills with 360 degree application.
• Strong cross-functional collaborating and influencing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills. (both verbal & written) including public speaking.
• Strong computer skills including MS Office, database information sources and web applications.